Shopping Period at Yale - Classes*v2
At the beginning of each semester, Yale College students have "shopping period." At this time you will see participants with the role of "shopper_ws" and "shopper" added to your site.
Note: Although students can join a course site via the Membership tool on Classes*v2 My Workspace, official registration is processed only through the Registrar's system.
Note: Please contact the Registrar's Office if you have questions about the status of students' enrollment in your class. Our system reflects the data from that office.
Note: Shopping period is handled slightly differently for courses offered in Canvas. For more information, read the Canvas help article.
What is the difference between the "shopper_ws" and the "shopper"?
- A "shopper_ws" added the course via the Registrar's shopping worksheet.
- A "shopper" joined the class by clicking Membership in their Classes*v2 site and then joining the course.
For more information about the difference between these roles, click here.
What happens during shopping period?
- Students shop for courses via OCS (Online Course Selection).
- Students' OCS worksheet lists are shared with Classes*v2 by the Registrar's system every 6 hours.
- Classes*v2 provides access to course sites on a student's OCS list based on the data received from the Registrar. Students will see a list of their courses on their My Workspace home page.
- Until students' registration is finalized, they will appear in Classes*v2 sites with the role of shopper or shopper_ws
After approximately two weeks
- Students create a final course selection list on OCS before their access to the system is lost.
- Students finalize their schedules and obtain permissions to seal registration. The Registrar oversees the collection of this information.
- Classes*v2 receives final registration data from the Registrar (this can occur 1-2 weeks after the end of shopping period).
- Officially registered students' role on the Classes*v2 Roster is changed to students (or auditors).
Finalizing the class roster after shopping period
- Shoppers are notified that they will be deleted from course sites on a specified date unless their registration is finalized. Shoppers who have the instructor's permission may request to retain access to a course site in the guest role.
- At the specified date, Classes*v2 deletes all shoppers. For those who didn't register for a course, the course tab disappears.
- Course sites are made unjoinable on Classes*v2, and are no longer visible using the Membership tool on My Workspace.
- The class roster is finalized.
Making your site joinable
Individual instructors may choose to make their course sites joinable again, at the conclusion of the registration period, in special cases where an open classroom is desired. For instructions on how to make your site Joinable, see Controlling access to your site.